Here are few classes that have helped me ‘up my game’ in design, illustration & marketing! There’s ton of online classes out there these days and I thought it would be helpful to post a top picks list to get you started on your design or illustration journey. The following classes are available on Skillshare.com which is an affordable online class site. Okay, here they are:
- My Number One fav: The Golden Secrets of Hand-Lettering: Create the Perfect Postcard by Martina Flor. Available on Skillshare.com This is also available as book entitled, The Golden Secrets of Lettering: Letter Design from First Sketch to Final Artwork. I personally learned a lot about Adobe Illustrator as well as about lettering.
- For Color: Inspired Color: How to Successfully Use Color in Your Work by Jessica Colaluca of Design-Seeds.com
I always refer people to design-seeds.com for color and found Jessica’s unique perspective on color interesting.
- For Branding: The Creative Process of Brand Building: Connecting Consumers and Companies through Stories by Stanley Hainsworth. Stanley was a former creative director at Starbucks! This is a great video if you want to learn to tell brand stories and develop artwork based on those stories. Very comprehensive and informative. Available on Skillshare.com
- For Marketing Online: Creating Art that Sells: A Working Artist’s Guide by Cat Coquillette. This video is very inspiring about what you can do with Print on Demand services and promoting on social media. Check out Cat’s instagram feed, it’s beautiful! Available on Skillshare.com
- For Repeat Patterns: Intro to Designing Repeat Patterns in Illustrator by Elizabeth Olwen. Of all the seamless repeat pattern tutorials out there, I learned hands-down the most from Elizabeth’s tutorial. Available on Skillshare.com
- For Info on Keeping a Sketchbook: Illustration and Inspiration: Keeping a Sketchbook by Leah Goren. If you already have some experience with painting, Leah will give you tons of inspiration to keep going. Her simple, down-to-earth video is very enlightening. Available on Skillshare.com
I’ve also decided to include a couple sites that have great blogs and other classes available occasionally:
- Pattern Observer. This is a good blog to follow about trends and other textile industry news and tutorials. They also offer a TextileDesignLab subscription for $42.50 which has boatloads of tutorials and expert advice.
- Every-Tuesday.com This is a great blog for graphic designers. Free tutorials, etc. Sign up to get blog posts! Definitely worth it.
Hopefully these resources will get you off to a rewarding journey whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro! You can always contact me if you have questions or want to work with me! Bon voyage!